Waikīkī Visitor Information
Ahhh, sunny, beautiful, and warm Waikīkī...
Waikīkī is located on the island of Oʻahu in the Hawaiian Islands between the islands of Kauaʻi to the northwest and Molokaʻi to the southeast. All the main islands of Oʻahu, Maui, Kauaʻi, and the Big Island of Hawaiʻi are relatively close together and can be reached by plane within 30-45 minutes of each other.
Waikīkī is an area in the city of Honolulu on the south shore of Oʻahu.
Once the playground of Hawaiian royalty, now a playground mostly for tourists and the locals that live in the area.
Waikīkī is probably best known for sunny days, sandy beaches, peaceful ocean, and warm weather most of the year.
The ocean off Waikīkī stays relatively calm most of the year, making it great for learning how to surf, sail, stand up paddle, or try paddling in an outrigger canoe.
What to Bring
If you are staying at one of our vacation rentals, you won't need to bring much. Most of our rentals have almost everything you will find at home.
Some items you might want to bring:
- Bathing Suit
- Small backpack or beach bag
- Camera, memory cards, and chargers
- Sandals / Flip-Flops / Slippers (as we say in Hawaiʻi)
- Walking and/or Hiking Shoes
- Cellphone (if international, check with your provider before you leave or buy a cheap pay-as-you-go phone here)
- E-reader or books to read at the beach
- MP3 player or other music listening device
Other essential items you may want to bring:
- ID and/or passport
- Wallet, credit cards, and traveler checks
- Eyeglasses and/or contacts
- Medications and prescriptions
- Medical insurance card, if you have
- Flight tickets
- Arrival Instructions (we send these in an email with boooking confirmation)
There are many ABC Store convenience stores in Waikīkī that carry the necessities such as toiletries, batteries, sunblock, sandals, first aid items, sunglasses, etc.
The Weather in Waikīkī and Oʻahu
The weather stays pretty warm year round, averaging between 75 and 85°F (24 to 29°C). You are probably coming to Hawaiʻi for the weather, so be sure to bring lots of short sleeve shirts, shorts, and sandals. And, don't forget to pack the bathing suit. You may also want to bring a hat and sunglasses. You should bring one sweater or long sleeve shirt as well as a pair of pants or jeans, just in case or you could just buy something here if you should need it. Waikīkī and other areas of Oʻahu have plenty of shopping.